Thursday, June 01, 2006

I am 'The Gavin Newsom Guy'


How did I become 'The Gavin Newsom Guy'. On pure merit baby:) Ok, there I am in the pic on the left...I am holding a print by the wildly talented SF artist Niana Liu . It is a painting she made off of a picture she took of the corner of Carl & Cole in San Francisco. So where does Adam come into this picture? I lived on the corner of Carl & Cole directly above 'Crepes on Cole'. While I lived there San Francisco was embroiled in a tense Mayoral race between Gavin Newsom and hippie upstart Matt Gonzales. Matt Gonzales was a prohibitive favorite in our neighborhood as there were yellow 'Matt Gonzales' posters everywhere. I came home one day to find one resting on the coffee table. The following conversation ensued:

Adam: What the hell is that?
Melani: It's a Matt Gonzales poster.
Adam: What are you going to do with it?
Melani: I'm putting it up in the window so everyone can see.
Adam: Screw that. I'm voting Newsom and there's no way you're putting up a Gonzales poster.
Melani: Umm, yes I am.
Adam: Then I'm putting up a Newsom poster.
Melani: Do whatever you want weirdo.
Adam: I will.

So I did and she did. Niana was walking by, saw the dueling posters and thought 'Glad I don't live in that apartment';) and snapped a photo. Flash forward a few years. Raffi (Melani's brother) still lives in the building and got his hands on a postcard made from the print, he gives it to Mels who mails it to me. I am so tickled I contact Niana and tell her the story...turns out she is coming to NYC to visit a friend and offers to bring me a hand-signed copy. She Blogs about it HERE.

And I think to myself...what a wonderful world...:)

Stay Open and as always...

Stay Naked.

ad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home