Friday, May 19, 2006

I call it 'The Alan Parsons Project'


The LA Times is reporting HERE that the US military will begin deploying lasers for use against ...well anybody. (The devices are reported to be 10 1/2 inches long and are attachted to the top of an M4 rifle...the pic above is of an actual laser weapon called the PHASR but it is NOT the device to be deployed...that said, I know you want to be the 1st kid on the block to own one...:)
Where was I? Oh yeah...so we're shortly going to be 'dazzling' Iraqis with lasers...what are the potential problems?

"If this 'safe' high-intensity laser damages retinas, we're in for a whole new type of [angry] Iraqi civilians," said Winslow T. Wheeler, who spent three decades as a Capitol Hill staffer and is now at the Center for Defense Information."

Excllent point Winslow...counterpoint military guys?

"I have no doubt," Army Lt. Gen. Peter Chiarelli said, "that bullets are less safe."

Hm, an even better point...have we seen one in action?

"Army Sgt. Brendan Woolworth was one of the first soldiers to try the green laser. He said an Iraqi driver got too close to his convoy about 90 days ago and failed to heed shouts to stop. The soldier directed a pulsing beam at the car's windshield. "He pulled off to the side of the road and stopped," Woolworth said. "He got the message. It looked like he just hadn't been paying attention."

I gotta say I kind of like this development. I know we always assume the worst but this sounds like a genuinely good solution to some of the types of situations our troops find themselves in. Let me ask you this, would you rather be shot at or 'dazzled'? Yeah...me too:)
------------------------------------------------------------------
A rare picture of a mother of a fallen soldier getting her shiny piece of metal and colorful cloth in return for her son. I thank Truthout for publishing this photo. I really do think we forget the real cost of war all too often. I look at this picture and it breaks my heart...

Stay Informed...and please...

Stay Naked.

ad


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home