Sunday, June 18, 2006

What Makes Father's Day


This Norman Rockwell painting has always spoken to me about fatherhood. (How sappy is this ? Father's Day and a Norman Rockwell painting. Maybe we should just check out Al Jazeera.)

The son is clearly off to college. New clothes; excitement and anticipation standing out on him like a halo. Pop is a little worn down and a little beat up, wondering if he really did all he could to get his son ready for the world and knowing he didn't, knowing he fell short and missed the mark.

He also knows the boy will see things and do things he never dreamed of, that he is travelling to places and times where a father cannot follow.

Now Dad will watch and listen, crediting the young man with every success and blaming himself for every failure.

In my extraordinarily fortunate case it appears that the damage I did has not been fatal. My three adult children (and I have seen them all in the last 24 hours: told you I was lucky) are healthy, productive, loving, charming, funny, fond of each other and, oddly enough, of me.

My own father was not so lucky. He lived to see his older two sons die, much younger than my sons are now. I can only hope that I gave him some small part of the pleasure and happiness than my kids have given, and continue to give, me.

Thanks to my Father and His Son for this endless source of joy.
jd

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sappy, introspective, lovingly heart-tugging post! You're the best, Jar.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home